School Counseling Overview
Becky Halamka is the counselor for the graduating classes of 2017 and 2019
Jaclyn Timmer is the counselor for the graduating classes of 2018 and 2020
Counselors at West Michigan Aviation Academy adhere the American School Counselor Association’s Code of Ethics. As such, we believe the counseling relationship between students and their school counselor requires an atmosphere of trust and confidence. Students must trust the school counselor in order to be able to enter into a meaningful and honest dialogue with the school counselor (Iyer & Baxter-MacGregor, 2010). However, students should be informed that exceptions to confidentiality exist in which counselors must inform others of information they obtained in the counseling relationship in order to prevent serious and foreseeable harm to students themselves or others and if it is legally required.
Information shared with a school counselor at West Michigan Aviation Academy will remain confidential unless the counselor learns of potential harm to the student or someone else. If potential harm exists, the counselor will use professional judgment to confer and/or report out.
Our mission as school counselors at West Michigan Aviation Academy is to provide a comprehensive counseling program that attends to the personal/social, academic, and career preparation/college planning needs of all students. Our goal is to promote a commitment to life-long learning, personal, and academic growth and to aid students in becoming responsible, culturally aware, and productive members of society. Our mission and our goal will be supported and further strengthened by consultation with teachers, staff, administrators, parents, and community advocates.
As counselors at West Michigan Aviation Academy, we strive to:
- Provide counseling services that are inclusive and respectful of student and staff differences in gender, religion, ethnicity, race, ability, handicapping condition, and age.
- Work collaboratively with students, parents, teachers, and administrators to help implement the program in a systematic fashion to ensure all students succeed in school and are prepared for meaningful, productive living.
- Implement a comprehensive school counseling program that teaches student’s valuable academic, personal/social, and career skills that they will take with them throughout their entire educational experience.
- Implement a school counseling program based on accurate data specific to the needs of West Michigan Aviation Academy.
- Ensure the comprehensive school counseling program is provided by a Michigan Licensed and accredited School Counselor.